FDNY Computer Based Test (CBT)
Below is the link to schedule the CBT exams at FDNY Headquarters (9 MetroTech Center, Brooklyn, NY). The Fire Department requires the candidate to create a “user log-in” when scheduling this exam, so Croker is unable to schedule this test for candidates.
To schedule an exam, click here.
- Computer Based Tests for Fire and Life Safety Director will NOT be administered to individuals unless an appointment is made.
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and click on the check box: “I have read, reviewed and thoroughly understand the NOE of the examination for which I am ready to schedule an appointment. I agree that I possess the qualifications to take the COF exam and am ready to schedule the appointment.”
- Once checked, a pop up window will bring you to a calendar to schedule an appointment now.
Note: To cancel or reschedule an existing appointment, 24 hours advance notice is required by the FDNY.
Fire and Life Safety Director (FLSD) Candidates
- Fire Emergencies Computer Based Test (Fire CBT) – Candidates must successfully complete all 31 hours of FLSD course instruction including Fire Emergencies (20 hours), Non-Fire/EAP Emergencies (7 hours) and Active Shooter/Medical Emergencies (4 hours) prior to taking the Fire CBT. Upon successful completion of all 31 hours of FLSD course instruction, candidates have nine (9) months to successfully complete the Fire CBT.
- Non-Fire Emergencies Computer Based Test (Non-Fire CBT) – Candidates must successfully complete the Fire CBT prior to taking the Non-Fire CBT. Upon passing the Fire CBT, candidates have nine (9) months to successfully complete the Non-Fire CBT.
— Note: Any occupancy requiring a Fire Safety Director though not requiring a Comprehensive Fire Safety and Emergency Action Plan (such as Hotels / Motels): Building management/ownership shall complete (on company letterhead) a T-89 Designation Letter for each candidate. Candidate must bring the completed letter to FDNY Headquarters in order to take the Non-Fire CBT. It is also recommended that a copy of the completed T-89 Designation Letter (for each candidate) be kept at the Fire Command Center.
— Note: Existing Fire Safety Directors (F-25 / F-58 / F-85) are required to take the Non-Fire CBT within nine (9) months of school completion or before March 1, 2019 (whichever is sooner).
On the day of the examination, all applicants must:
- Present 2 forms of identification, at least one identification must be government issued photo ID, such as state-issued drivers’ license or non-drivers license or a passport.
- Submit the original FLSD school diplomas (valid for 9 months)
- Complete the following 2 forms:
— Fire and Life Safety Director – Application Form
— Certificate of Fitness – General Application Form (A-20)
- Be processed and photographed prior to taking exam
- Pay $25 testing fee by credit card (no debit), cash, money order or personal check (payable to New York City Fire Department). (Note: Each candidate will need a separate check).
- Have at least three (3) years’ of full-time work experience in one or more of the following fields (in any combination thereof), OR 18 months’ full-time work experience in one or more of the following fields (in any combination thereof) that includes at least six (6) months of continuous employment at one work location:
(A) Firefighting or other public safety emergency response employment;
(B) Any fire safety-related employment, including code enforcement, fire safety inspection, fire prevention or emergency preparedness;
(C) The design, installation, operation or maintenance of building fire protection, electrical, plumbing, heating, ventilation, or air conditioning systems, or other building system regulated by the construction codes; or
(D) Equivalent experience acceptable to the FDNY. Present proof by having employer or previous employer(s) submit a notarized affidavit confirming qualifying experience to the FDNY.
Note: When a candidate passes the Computer Based Test, please advise your Croker Service Representative and/or the Croker office (firstname.lastname@example.org) so that we can schedule an FDNY onsite exam. Applicants will be given two (2) opportunities to take and pass the CBT before having to retake the applicable FLSD course.
FDNY Headquarters – Directions
9 MetroTech Center, 1st Floor
Brooklyn, NY 11201
Note: Closed on Public Holidays
Take the “A” or “F” train to Jay Street (Back of Train) -or-
Take the “R” train to Lawrence Street
(NYC Subway Map)
Enter through the Flatbush Avenue entrance (between Myrtle Avenue and Tech Place)