LEARN MORE ABOUT
To apply for Security Guard registration in New York, candidates must:
- Be at least 18 years of age;
- Have passed a New York State Department of Justice background check;
- Be a citizen of the United States; have a resident alien card (a green card), or have a work authorization card;
If you meet all of these requirements, the next step is to register for the 8-Hour Pre-Assignment Training Course
In order to receive your security guard certification, candidates must complete two (2) training courses.
- Before applying to the Department of State for a Security Guard Registration Card, candidates must take an 8 Hour Pre-Assignment Training Course. The pre-assignment training course covers important information that everyone working as a security officer must know.
- Once you have secured a position as a security guard, you must complete a 16 Hour On-the-Job Training (OJT) Course for Security Officers within 90 days. This class covers the duties of a security officer and procedures relevant to a work site.
The initial 8-hour and 16-hour courses only have to be taken once, but you are required to take an 8 Hour Annual In-Service Training Course for Security Officers every year that you work as a security guard.
Croker provides special attention to each individual in assisting and guiding you every step of the way.
New York State / Third-Party Fees:
- Application Fee to apply for a Security Guard Registration Card: $36.00
- Electronic Fingerprinting Fee (Paid to IdentoGo): $99.00
Note: New York State requires these fees. They are separate from the cost of your Croker security guard training courses.
- Employee Statement and Security Guard Application
- Fingerprint Locations
- Department of State Division of Licensing Services – Index of Licensees and Registrants